Wednesday, May 22, 2013

I'm soooooo huunnngray!

Well day one on Paleo has officially come and gone and I made it.  Whoo-hoo, one day at a time, right?  The food was great and I really didn't have that much of a problem with what I ate.  I really enjoyed it actually-- the only problem was my own fault and that was I didn't eat enough.  I am not used to eating healthy and I forget that even with probably more options for purchasing snacks than most, since I work on a college campus with restaurants in the building over, the offerings were all still things I couldn't eat.  So other than my breakfast and lunch I didn't have anything to eat, which meant I spent most of the day starving.  Here's what my day one looked like:

Breakfast
I made a smoothie before leaving for work.  Here's the recipe:

  • 1 cup frozen organic blueberries
  • 1 organic banana
  • 2 tb almond butter
  • Coconut Milk
  • Ice
Add blueberries, banana and almond butter in the blender.  Pour coconut milk over ingredients until      covered.  Add ice, I used 4 cubes, but this depends on how thick and cold you want your smoothie--       add more or less depending on desired consistency.  Blend.  Easy enough, right?

Lunch
I am normally an eat-outter at lunch and I wanted to make sure that didn't have to change.  So for lunch I went to Subway and did a chopped spinach salad with tomatoes, olives, banana peppers, and grilled chicken.  I had them put a little of the red wine vinaigrette on the side just to give it some flavor.

Snack
As soon as I got home I grabbed an organic barlett pear.  By this time I was starving because I didn't think ahead and the temptation to run through McDonald's or Sonic on my way home was intense, but I fought it and made it home so I could eat a good snack.

Dinner
I have to say our first Paleo dinner turned out awesome.  It was such a beautiful day so Chad fired up the grill and we had hamburgers and fries, Paleo style.  Here are the recipes:

Paleo Hamburgers--  you're going to need a knife and fork for this one!  :-)
  • 1 lb grass fed lean ground beef
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • salt/pepper
  • 9 free-range eggs
Mix ground beef, garlic powder, onion powder, 1 egg and salt/pepper to taste together.  Pat into 4 equal patties (about 1/4 lb each).  Grill to desired doneness (we did ours to about medium well and it took about 10 minutes).

While the burgers are on the grill, use bacon grease or coconut oil to fry up 8 eggs-- set aside on plate.

Place burger patties in between two fried eggs (imagine the eggs as your bun).  Top with mustard, guacamole, other Paleo friendly condiments of choice.  We used guacamole and it was a perfect addition!

Sweet Potato Fries
  • 1 large sweet potato (if it's big enough that all you'll need... two smaller ones would be just fine)
  • Coconut Oil
  • Sea Salt
  • Coconut Flakes
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Coat baking pan/cookie sheet with coconut oil.

Peel sweet potato and dice into fries.  Put sea salt and coconut flakes (to taste) in baggie and add fries.  Shake until all pieces are well covered.

Bake at 425 for about 10-15 minutes.

     
Overall the day went great.  I learned my mistake and I have plenty of snack options with me today at work. Side note--  I slept through the entire night first time in several weeks without waking up... not sure if it was coincidence or if my body can already tell a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment